Meeting Minutes – May 8, 2013
Jerry Owens Reported….
- The bees will arrive on Saturday May 25th. Meet in the back parking lot of the Senior Center any time after 5:00AM and before 10:00 AM. The ‘installing a nuc’ demonstration will be at 9:00 AM in Mary Hall Park. There will be queens with are a cross between the Minnesota Hybrid & Italians. All hive orders will be complete by next week.
Tracy Heder Club Member…asked permission to circulate a petition for the Senior Center.
President Bill Clements…
- Plant Share is May 18th / 8:00AM – Plant Drop off and get a coupon then at 10:00AM the Share begins. Bring one plant and pick up four plants! – The Plant Share is located at the Materials Recovery Center at the Landfill – 5555 S. Hwy 79
- Ellen Conroy will talk about bees to the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) May 20th-21st. Bill asked if the Club could help pay for Ellen’s gas. Joan Clements motioned to help…and someone seconded.
- Norbeck Society – May 9th – 5:30 PM Social Hour / 6:00 PM – Classroom Room – School of Mines – The State Entomologist Spoke.
- Minnesota Honey Producers Association Annual Conference will be held July 11-13th in Walker MN (www.mhpa.us).
What to with your bees now…
- Rotate brood boxes now!
- It is nice to go natural…but treating for mites is best!
- Fumagilin B
- Mite–A–Thol -Tracheal Mites
- Be sure to do the treatments WITH THE HONEY SUPERS OFF!!
Limit your bee losses (both $$ and bees) with prevention by
- keeping the comb for the bees so they do not have to rebuild it each time
- order a propolis trap and you can sell it
- use pollen traps…2 days a week…collect and sell
- purchase Comb Honey Kits…can sell
- purchase Round Comb Kits…can sell
Bob Ashaim provided us with a great presentation titled: First Year Start-up with Lessons Learned where he discussed the following in-depth.
- Personal Protection
- Helpful Hints
- Beekeeping for Dummies
- Bee Keepers Handbook
- Bee Essentials
- The Life & Times of the Honeybee
- Citrol Citrus cleaner can be used to clean tools.
- Ellen proposed buying a few wax molds for club members to check out.
- Consider investigating Robotic Bees to Pollinate Monsanto (a biotech company) Crops
- Check out: beeinformed.org where you will find a run down on the percentage of bee loses throughout the US
Minutes submitted by: Michelle Hovland, Secretary
Disclaimer: If I have misquoted you, misnamed you, didn’t quote you, didn’t name you, or otherwise made mistakes in these meeting minutes, I apologize. Please feel free to send me the corrections and I will correct/publish them in the meeting minutes on the web site. Send to email@example.com