Meeting Minutes – August 14, 2013
President Bill Clements:
- Discussed selling honey/beeswax products
- Honey Packaging
- Lip Balm Packing
- Hand Salve Packaging
- Consider supporting the Senior Center by purchasing/selling football packets
- Honey extracting demonstration
- Honey robbers (wasps & yellow jackets) and preventing robbers.
- Keep ants away by sprinkling cinnamon around the hive.
- Mites – make sure not to use chemicals in the hive during the nectar flow
- State Commercial Bee meeting in Deadwood
- SD was #1 honey producing state in the nation in 2012
- Commercial bee keeps split their hives…hobby beekeepers can also do this – this could be a future topic of discussion for our club. In our climate, we must at least 15,000 bees before we spit a hive or the bees will die. Bees must also be able to complete their winter honey supply before it is cold. You must feed both hives if you split them.
- The Monday, August 19th TIME magazine’s cover is on colony collapse
Minutes submitted by: Michelle Hovland, Secretary
Disclaimer: If I have misquoted you, misnamed you, didn’t quote you, didn’t name you, or otherwise made mistakes in these meeting minutes, I apologize. Please feel free to send me the corrections and I will correct/publish them in the meeting minutes on the web site. Send to email@example.com