Meeting Minutes – August 13, 2014
Club Business – keeping honey bees within city limits.
The Rapid City Attorney’s office has not yet made any recommendations on the City Beekeeping ordinance.
- Jerry Owns recommended re-queening now so the bees will have a good chance of surviving the winter.
- Members shared their beekeeping experiences. Most members are having a banner beekeeping year.
- Pastor Marty Crump, fellow beekeeper from Gillette, WY discussed and showed pictures of beekeeping in Africa and explained how his church is assisting some African people in starting new hives.
- A Club member brought up the idea of the Wannabee Hobby Beekeepers providing a number to the 211 Helpline where the community could contact beekeepers if they needed help relocating a swarm of bees. A discussion ensued regarding that this is one way to show the City how our Club supports Rapid City and surrounding communities.
- Jerry Owens reported, so far this summer, he gathered 16 swarms and the people found him though the Wannabee Hobby Beekeepers website.
- A member made a motion to begin a 211 Helpline trial and begin asking for volunteers who will be available to check on reported swarms within a 20 mile radius of Rapid City. The motion was seconded, voted, and passed.
- A member advised to set a standard process for collecting.
Minutes submitted by: Michelle Hovland, Secretary
Disclaimer: If I have misquoted you, misnamed you, didn’t quote you, didn’t name you, or otherwise made mistakes in these meeting minutes, I apologize. Please feel free to send me the corrections and I will correct/publish them in the meeting minutes on the web site. Send to email@example.com