Meeting Minutes – October 8, 2014
Meeting held at the Game, Fish, & Parks Outdoor Campus
Niko from the Game Fish and Parks asked for donations of honey-filled frames to help keep the campus bees alive over the winter.
President Tom Allen…
- Presentation: Getting Ready for Winter
- Inspect for general health
- Check the brood pattern – it will be less than in summer, but there should still be some brood.
- Check the population size – if it is too small that it can’t make a decent cluster; you might want to combine the bees with another hive
- Check for diseases & mite level – treat with Hopguard or Apivar up to three times a year.
- Look for nosema.
- Look for adequate food stores (full honey frames in the hive) – you should have 7-8 full frames of honey. They need about 60 pounds of honey to make it over the winter.
- Check hive ventilation.
- Construct some kind of windbreak.
All officer positions are open:
Allen Loeken – Demonstrated his homemade extractor
Minutes submitted by: Michelle Hovland, Secretary
Disclaimer: If I have misquoted you, misnamed you, didn’t quote you, didn’t name you, or otherwise made mistakes in these meeting minutes, I apologize. Please feel free to send me the corrections and I will correct/publish them in the meeting minutes on the web site. Send to email@example.com