Meeting Minutes – November 12, 2014
Wannabee Hobby Beekeepers Meeting
President Tom Allen…
- Supplemental Feeding
- Should use some sort of a ‘dry’ product in the winter instead of sugar water so you don’t introduce more moisture into the hive. Also, the bees are not good at assimilating the sugar water
- A Sugar Board
- Lay newspaper or craft paper on top of frames (within a super box) and then pour a bag of sugar on the paper.
- Fondant Tray
- Replaces the Inner Board
- Fondant Patty
- 4lbs. of Sugar, 16 oz of water and ¼ tsp. of vinegar.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until boiling begins. The sugar mix will look clear.
- Using a candy thermometer, boil until mixture reaches 234 degrees. Take caution not to exceed 234 as the sugar may caramelize and be harmful to bees.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to 200 degrees…This will cause the candy to thicken. You may add lemon grass oil to flavor.
- Whip with a whisk until whiteness occurs.
- Extra Honey from Other Hives
- Do not use store-bought honey and be aware of the possibility of introducing disease, etc., from unknown sources if you introduce honey on frames.
- When temperatures are very cold, the bees do not leave the cluster at all because they will freeze to death once they leave the cluster.
- Bees often have enough food to make it through winter…but April is a critical month because food supplies are low in the hive and there is little food outside the hive.
- If you are able to inspect the hive during the winter – look to see if the honey frames are close to the cluster and if not move full honey frames one either side of the cluster. Never break the cluster by putting a honey frame into the cluster.
- Cotton ball soaked in lemon grass oil and put into a box may attract swarms.
Minutes submitted by: Michelle Hovland, Secretary
Disclaimer: If I have misquoted you, misnamed you, didn’t quote you, didn’t name you, or otherwise made mistakes in these meeting minutes, I apologize. Please feel free to send me the corrections and I will correct/publish them in the meeting minutes on the web site. Send to email@example.com