The club meets from 5:30 to 7:30 pm the 2nd Wednesday of each month at the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks Outdoor Campus West, 4130 Adventure Trail). We welcome visitors and potential new club members.
- President –Tim Moran — firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vice President – Dan Mulally — Baldbaby2000@yahoo.com
- Secretary –Allen Godsell
- Treasurer – Kia Smith — email@example.com
On December 12, 2017 we lost a good friend and very active bee club member, Bob Ashiem. Bob was the President of our club in 2015 and he gave many, many educational and entertaining presentations to our club members. He will be very much missed by everyone. His obituary.
2015-2017 Club Support
- Dan Mulally – Program Committee — Baldbaby2000@yahoo.com
- Dan Mulally – Librarian —Baldbaby2000@yahoo.com
- Michelle Grosek – Facebook — firstname.lastname@example.org
- Linda Anderson – Website — email@example.com
2015-2016 Rapid City Ordinance Committee
- Jerry Owens — firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bill Clements — email@example.com
- Tom Allen — firstname.lastname@example.org
- John McDowell — email@example.com
2018 Officers: President: Jerry Owens, Vice President: Tim Moran, Secretary: Peggy Langley, Treasurer: Kia Smith
2017 Officers: President: Rob Roberts, Vice President: Kia Smith, Secretary: Peggy Langley, Treasurer: Jan Snedigar
2016 Officers: President: Kia Smith, Vice President: Michelle Grosek, Secretary: Lynnette Epp, Treasurer: Jan Snedigar
2015 Officers: President: Bob Ashiem, Vice President: Susan Nolan, Secretary: Jan Snedigar, Treasurer: Kia Smith
2014 Officers: President: Tom Allen, Vice President: Bill Clements, Treasurer: Jeanie McCallister, Secretary Michelle Hovland, Web, Linda Anderson, FaceBook, Michelle Grosek, Librarian: Dan Mulally
2013 Officers: President: Bill Clements, Vice President: Tom Allen, Treasurer: Brenda Whiting, Secretary Michelle Hovland, Web, Linda Anderson, FaceBook, Michelle Grosek, Librarian: Joan Clements
2012 Officers: President: Bill Clements, Vice President: Tom Allen, Treasurer: Dani Johnson, Secretary and Webmaster: James Ann Barlean, Librarian: Emma Jane Fennel
2011 Officers: President: Lee Alley, Vice President: Jay Erickson, Treasurer: Nicole Preble, Secretary & Web Master: Linda Anderson
2010 Officers: President: Jerry Owens; Vice President: Troy Dean, Treasurer: John Halverson; Secretary: Patty Pate
The Club Policies and Dues were established in June, 2011. If you would like to join the club, you may come to one of the meetings and sign up or you may download the following form and mail it, along with the annual dues, to the club treasurer. Wannabee Hobby Beekeepers ClubRegistrationForm
History of the Club
Jerry Owens began raising honey bees in his spare time and founded the Wannabee Hobby Beekeepers club in the fall of 2009 hoping to get peole in the Black Hills area raising honey bees. Since then, and as of January, 2011, about 200 people have joined the club. Jerry began helping members setup their hives and manage them and plans to continue to do so. Jerry actively works to educate the public about the benefits and joys of honey beekeeping.
South Dakota and Local Beekeepers
- Rapid City Journal article – May 26, 2013 – Jerry Owens delivering 2 million bees titled ‘Hobbyists work to boost declining honeybee numbers’
- Asian Honey, Banned in Europe, Is Flooding U.S. Grocery Shelves – includes an interview with Richard Adee, Washington Legislative Charman of the American Honey Producers Association. Scary how much adulterated honey is flowing illegally into our country.
- Richard Adee of Bruce, SD owns Adee Honey Farms (since 1957) and is the largest beekeeper in America (probably the world) with 80,000 hives.
- Benefits of bees keep beekeepers buzzing (RC Journal, Jerry/Nicole/Tom – 9/2011)
- Lee has a personal blog where you can read about his bees (leez.bz)
- Nicole Preble / Bobtanical Garden / News Center 1 (July 24, 2011)
- Beekeeping for the Environment / News Center 1 (May 21, 2011)
- Hobby Bee Keepers helping bees / KOTA Video (May 21, 2011)
- Lila Lytle – Custer – takes on a new hobby (September 2010)
- Jerry Owens – New vendors at fair … bees, hand waxing (August, 2009 RC Journal)
- Jerry Owens – A sweet hobby: Local beekeepers group. (March, 2009 RC Journal)
- SD Beekeeping Business – Searching for the Sweet Spot (July, 2008 RC Journal)